At TIMU schools we believe that a high-quality history education will help our pupils understand the hurdles of people’s lives, the diversity of different societies and the process of change. Pupils will gain a coherent knowledge and understanding of the past of Britain and the wider world to support and enable them understand the challenges of their own life-time and develop their critical thinking for all aspects of their lives.
We want our pupils to be inspired by history and become curious learners that always want to know more. We want to equip our pupils to ask perceptive questions, think critically, consider evidence, examine arguments to develop their own perspective and judgement.
Pupils are offered opportunities to explore ‘real history’, and our curriculum offers physical, academic and practical approaches to accommodate all kinds of learners. It also allows our teaching staff to work collaboratively, to develop flexible, immersive and exciting lessons, which enables all our children to flourish.
Our history curriculum aims to remain as broad as possible while still allowing our pupils to understand the complexity of people’s diverse lives and the process of change within our locality and the wider world. It enables pupils to make links in their learning, deepen their understanding, and motivate and inspire them. It is sequenced so that new knowledge and skills build on what has been taught before and pupils can work towards clearly defined end points.
The aims of our history curriculum are:
- To be more aware of local history and how people’s lives have shaped this nation and how Britain has influenced and been influenced by the wider world.
- To understand how the past was different from the present.
- To understand the chronology of events and recall accurate dates.
- To develop an interest in the past and an appreciation of human achievements and aspirations, and to allow them to make links between cause and effect.
- To distinguish between historical facts and the interpretation of those facts.
Some awesome websites to look for information, pictures and videos are: